Alphabet Soup!: What do the letters LGBTQIA mean?
- L = Lesbian – a woman who is attracted physically and emotionally to other women
- G = Gay – a man who is attracted physically and emotionally to other men
- B = Bisexual – a person who is attracted physically and emotionally to both men and women
- T = Transgender – a person whose gender identity does not match his/her physical body
- Q = Queer – while the term “queer” used to be an insult, the younger generation is taking back the term in a positive light to be an all-inclusive term for the LGBT community.
- Q = Questioning – Q is sometimes used to refer to “questioning”; individuals who are struggling with their identity, with sexual feelings – unsure of their sexual orientation
- I = Intersex – this is a group of conditions where there is a discrepancy between a persons internal genitals and their external genitals.
- A = Ally – a friend or supporter