Transgender 101: This is a brief summary of transgender terms and laws as well as some important information. transgender 101 document
Planned Parenthood Transgender Hormone Therapy Health Centers Call 1-877-200-PPIL for an appointment
- Springfield – 601 North Bruns Lane
- intake for Springfield completed at The Phoenix Center – call 217-528-5253 for an appointment
- Decatur – 3021 North Oakland Avenue
- Peoria – 705 North East Jefferson Avenue
- Bloomington – 1319 North Veteran’s Parkway
- Champaign – 302 East Stoughton Street
- Chicago Near North Health Center – 1200 North LaSalle Street
- Chicago Rogers Park Health Center – 6353 North Broadway
The information listed below has been provided to the Phoenix Center by transgender individuals, family members, and various social service agency and mental health providers. They are not recommendations but simply information that may help you on your journey.
Therapists & Psychiatrists
- Hillary LaMontagne, LCPC, CADC – 520 E. Allen St., Springfield IL (217)836-9892
- Molly Dooley, LCPC – 1711 S. 6th St., Springfield, IL (217)788-5244
- Vicki Vandeveer, LCPC, CADC – 2659 Farragut, Springfield IL (217)726-7273
- Equine assisted therapy, also utilizes a therapy dog
- Kathryn Pearson, LCPC – 2309 W. White Oaks B, Springfield IL (217)787-8780
- Dr. Gil Abelita – 417 N. Center St., Bloomington, IL (309)827-2184
- Laura Grimes, LCSW – 4753 N. Broadway, Suite 608, Chicago, IL (773)659-9207
- Available for phone and in person sessions and offers a sliding scale fee.
- Dr. Wanda Sedoughi – Good Samaritan Hospital, Downers Grove, IL (630)852-9220
- Randi Ettner, PhD. – 1214 Lake St., Evanston, IL (708)328-3433
- specializes in gender dysphoria, preoperative evaluations, pre and post operative counseling for transition and beyond.
- Beatriz Ledesma ME.D, M.A.A.T., R.M.T, LCPC – 1242 W> Winnemac St, Chicago, IL (773)561-0825
- bilingual (Spanish/English), art therapist, Reiki master, specializing in gender dysphoria, pre and post operative counseling and transition and beyond.
- Michael Levins, PhD – 19815 Governors Hwy, Flossmoor, IL (708)798-2490
- 20 years of experience working with transgender individuals.
- Susan O’Dell PhD – 1422 W. Thome St., Chicago, IL (773)262-7010
- Linda Wetherbe, Ed.D – 33125 N. Highway 45, Wildwood, IL (847)223-6123
- works with gender related issues on an individual, partner, or group basis.
- Michelle Emerick, Psy.D. – Youth Specialist – Howard Brown Health Center, Chicago, IL (773-388-8903)
- John Moore, LCPC, CACD – 4343 Clarendon, Chicago, IL (773)704-5300
- available for in person and telephone sessions
- Gender Therapist Online – http://www.gendertherapist.com
Endocrinologists that specialize in working with transgender clients
- Dr. Remaldo Jacques – Peoria, IL (309)683-1200
- Dr Fred Ettner – Chicago, IL (847)773-2229
- Dr. William Bayer – Carol Stream, IL (630)668-3210
- Dr. Edwin Miller – (773)637-0166
- Dr. Michael Jakoby – SIU School of Medicine (217)545-3000
- Dr Zukowski – 3612 West Lake Ave, Wilmette, IL email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- plastic surgeon – does not do genital surgeries, but does many feminization procedures for MTFs as well as double mastectomy for FTMs.
- Dr. Michael Horn – 60 E. Delaware Place, Chicago, IL (866)377-0445
- does many feminization procedures for MTFs as well as double mastectomy for FTMs.
- Dr. Lawrence Gottlieb – Chicago, IL (217)524-5983 email email@example.com
- does FTM phalloplasty
Websites with general information on the transitioning process
- For a gallery of surgical results for FTM genital and chest surgeries go to www.transster.com
- The transitional male for FTM http://www.thetransitioningmale.com
- Hudson’s FTM Guide http://www.ftmguide.org/
- FTM International http://www.ftmi.org
- Transsexual Women’s Resources by Dr. Anne Lawrence http://www.annelawrence.com/twr/
- Transsexual Roadmap for both MTFs and FTMs http://www.tsroadmap.com
- Dr. Lynn Conway’s Transsexual Women’s Web Resources http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/Conway/ts/tswomensresources.html
- The World Professional Association for Transgender Health – Standards of Care http://www.wpath.org/resources_transgender.cfm
- Information about breast implants/augmentation http://www.implantinfo.com/
- Trans Youth Family Advocates http://imatyfa.org/
- online support group for parents and family, support and referral system – phone (847)853-8869